Frequently Asked Questions

What is a casa particular?

A Casa Particular is the Cuban name for a homestay or privately owned guesthouse, or B&B (Bed and Breakfast). It is most often a room for rent in a family house, but also it can be a whole penthouse apartment, or even a large house with a garden and a swimming pool. Some of them are independent, which means you can rent the entire place for yourself, and others work more as a small hotel (hostal), which means you may share the house with other guests and/or the host. The casa owners usually allow access to common areas of the house, and offer different services to the clients to make sure their stay is as welcoming as possible. Staying in a Casa Particular brings the guest a more local and cozy stay.

How do I book with Casa Particular .com?

1. First, send us your booking request by filling the online form.

2. You will receive an automatic email with a Request Code for us to be able to identify your booking request. Please keep a record of this.

3. We will check for availability for your selected dates with the Host and we will aim to reply to you ASAP.

4. We will send you a confirmation of your booking.

5. You will then be prompted to pay the online deposit (around 25 % of the total amount).

6. You will receive a confirmation voucher letting you know your booking has been finalized. You will have to bring this to Cuba.

8. You will pay the remaining amount (around 75 % of the booking) to the host upon arrival.

How do I cancel a booking?

To cancel a booking, you should get in touch with our Team ( For our Cancellation Policy, please check our Legal Terms and Conditions.

How much do I have to pay to book with Casa Particular .com?

To finalize your booking you should pay a 25% online deposit. This down payment guarantees the availability of the casa or experience for the selected dates of your stay in Cuba.

The outstanding amount (75 % of the accomodation price, according to the value shown at the site) will be paid in CUC by you to the Host, upon arrival to the Casa.

How can I be a host and have my Casa and/or Experience on your site?

1. Please contact us by going to Be a Host.

2.We will get back to you with a survey for you to fill out and send back to us. This will allow to obtain all the information we need about your Casa and/or Experience.

3. Once we have all the data, we will process and upload your Casa and/or Experience to the site.

4. After this process is complete, you will be able to receive booking requests.

5. It is important that if you change any information about your Casa and/or Experience you let us know ASAP so we can update it.

What is an experience?

An Experience is an activity or excursion designed and run by a local host. They open up the doors to unique places, monuments and activities within their city; or any other daily situation guests want to enjoy, surrounded by locals. The hosts can offer quite full experiences which have fixed timetables and are of several days of duration, or just a short Spanish class of 1 hour. All types of guests will be able to choose from a wide range of activities to suit their tastes, from photography workshops to camping, cooking lessons to horse riding and many more.

How is the Cuban Food?

Cuban food is usually cheap. The locals take their time to eat all together around a table in their Casas. You can find many restaurants and cafeterías around the city, offering good value meal. Prices vary per meal depending on the place you choose; basically you can find great choices for 10-20 CUC per person. On your introductory city tour, our tour leader can give you some restaurant suggestions for your itinerary, so you can eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. Although recommended, there is no obligation to do so.

How do i get my Tourist Cards-Visa?

A Tourist card is normally issued for 30 days. If you want to stay for another month you need to extend your visa at immigration in Havana for an extra charge. Please feel free to check the site Cuba Visas.

How do I get Medical Travel Insurance?

All tourists entering Cuba will require a "Medical Travel Insurance" that is on a Cuban authorities approved list. We urge you to check with your insurance provider to ensure your policy is on the list of approved providers. If it is not, tourists will be obligated to purchase an insurance (or policy) on arrival in Cuba. The cost of buying this insurance in Cuba will be in addition to any insurance already purchased or had it, and the rates for these policies you will know on your arrival, those local rates are only applicable by Insurance Cuban company. To get more info visit Cuba Cover.

Cuban currency?

Cuba has a dual currency: the Cuban convertible peso (CUC). This is the currency that you will exchange and use in Cuba. The other monetary unit is the Cuban peso, also called moneda nacional or CUP. You can use both currencies, but is more common to use CUC. (1 CUC=0.87 USD) (1 CUC=24 CUP).

CUCs are only available in Cuba and they can be exchanged at Cuban airports, banks, some hotels and Cadecas or Casas de Cambio (currency exchange offices). In the main cities, ATMs are available. Cards accepted in Cuba are Visa and MasterCard that are not issued by US banks - you should check with your financial institutions for the latest information. You will be charged a 3% processing fee for a cash advance from a Cuban bank or ATM as well as whatever your home bank charges. In addition, US dollars have a 10% charge so it’s better to come with Euros or Pounds sterling.

Is it important to tip in Cuba?

It is not compulsory, but it is expected. If you like the service you receive from any restaurant, tour leader, driver, etc. you can tip as you seem appropriate as a thank you.

How does the Internet work in Cuba?

ETECSA is the only company allowed to provide internet or phone services in Cuba

Cuba does not have widely accessible internet or free WIFI. To access the WIFI you will have to access the hotspots around the city (mainly parks or very specific avenues), also in hotels. To access the internet you will have to buy internet cards.

What’s the common electrical voltage in Cuba?

The electrical current in Cuba is mostly 110 volts AC (the same as in the U.S.). We recommend bringing a multi-adapter which will ensure that you can plug in and charge any devices in your room. You may need a power converter if your appliance or device doesn't provide a range of currents such as 110-240v or 120-240v.

Is Cuba a safe country?

Cuba is the safest country in Latin America, with a very low crime rate. Of course as in any country you should be careful with your stuff, especially when walking down the crowded streets of Old Havana.